This new version uses an SMD 5x2 header. This is a simple to use USB AVR programmer. It is low cost, easy to use, works great with AVRDude, and is tested extensively on a Windows desktop. Based on Dick Steefland's USBtiny and Limor Fried's USBtinyISP.
This programmer works really well for ATmega168 and ATmega328 and should work with all the AVR micros supported by AVRDUDE.
This board is buffered and power protected so that you can do some really evil things to the programmer without killing it. It is fast! Comparable speed to the AVR ISP2 USB programmer from Digikey. One of the greatest features of this board is the ability to power the target (up to 500mA) from the programmer.
To use this programmer, attach to a Windows machine and install the drivers listed below. Open a command prompt. Assuming WinAVR (and therefore AVRDUDE) have been installed, type:
avrdude -c usbtiny -B 1 -patmega328 -U flash:w:main.hex
Be sure to include the "-B 1" flag as this will significantly increase the programming speed! You may need to change -p flag to your appropriate microcontroller.
Some people are having trouble installing the drivers to their Windows 7 machines because they are unsigned. There is a workaround available in the documents below.
Note: This product is a collaboration with Limor Fried. A portion of each sales goes back to them for product support and continued development.
- Standard AVR ISP programmer
- ATtiny2313 with USBtiny firmware preloaded
- Buffered output
- PTC fuse protected power
- Programmer can power target
- Supports ATmega168/328 and many others
- Two status LEDs
- Both 10-pin and 6-pin targets supported (cable included)
Open Source Hardware: The original engineering files are available for mass hackery.
- Firmware based on USBtiny (type 'make all' in the spi directory). Spakrfun found that the compile only works with older versions of WinAVR (20080430).
- Eagle Files (Licensed under CC v3.0 Share-Alike)