This is a carrier board or breakout board for Allegroís A4988 DMOS microstepping driver with translator and overcurrent protection; we therefore recommend careful reading of the A4988 datasheet (380k pdf) before using this product. This stepper motor driver lets you control one bipolar stepper motor at up to 2 A output current per coil (see the "Power Dissipation Considerations" section on the wiki page for more information).
This board is similar to the A4983-board but offers overcurrent protection. If the boards get too hot, it will disconnect current until it cools a bit. If the current is too high for the heat sinking, the motors will pulse as the current is interrupted and restored.
- Simple step and direction control interface
- Five different step resolutions: full-step, half-step, quarter-step, eighth-step, and sixteenth-step
- Adjustable current control lets you set the maximum current output with a potentiometer, which lets you use voltages above your stepper motorís rated voltage to achieve higher step rates
- Intelligent chopping control that automatically selects the correct current decay mode (fast decay or slow decay)
- Over-temperature thermal shutdown, under-voltage lockout, and crossover-current protection
- Short-to-ground and shorted-load protection